Re: [Groff] groff as a backend

From: Larry McVoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff as a backend
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:35:03 -0800

> 1. Creates initial groff source and PostScript output files
> 2. Opens 'gv' to display the PS file, 'gv' in "watch" mode
>    (i.e. as soon as the PS file changes it re-reads it)
> 3. Watches the groff source file and, as soon as it changes,
>    runs 'groff' on it, thereby chenging the PS file (see (2)).

I've been doing this for years, I've attached a perl script which is
a slight improvement over yours in that it works more or less like
groff, scans all the input for '^.so' and watches those files too.
Oh, and it rescans every 200 milliseconds which is basically human
reaction time.

This works great for me.

> > All that said, roff is still my system of choice.
>
> Hear, hear!

Indeed.  This is the best thread I've ever seen on the groff list,
it's the first time I've seen an extended thread about "fixing" roff.
Roff is great but it could be really great.
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com