Re: [Groff] groff as a backend

From: Meg McRoberts
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff as a backend
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:32:23 -0800 (PST)

> I don't know many WYSYWYG editors but to me it is impossible to resume
> working on a file that has been touched by, for instance, FrontPage.

I don't have a lot of experience with WYSYWYG editors myself but it
seems like DreamWeaver produces reasonably good HTML that could be
edited manually.  And XMetal and other XML editors purport to do good
XML.  I believe the XMetal WYSYWYG is only an emulator -- the XML is
actually formatted by the style sheet and XMetal emulates that format,
but it may not always be 100% accurate for how the document will ultimately
be formatted.

I suppose it depends whether the people who wrote the WYSYWYG software
had a goal to preserve the text document in a form that can be edited.

meg