Re: [Groff] status of pdfmark macros

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: [Groff] status of pdfmark macros
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:55:16 +0000

Hi Heinz,

> Searching the list for the pdfmark macros wasn't successful.
> Can someone please help with a link or the files ?

My original tarball can be found, as an attachment, here ...
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2004-09/msg00103.html

I posted a couple of patches, subsequently ...
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2004-09/msg00111.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2004-09/msg00113.html

The first of these implements an optimisation suggested by
Werner; the second addresses a bug reported by Robert Goulding
(Robert, you didn't confirm if this patch was successful--have
you had a chance to test it)?

In the meantime, I have made some fairly extensive changes,
mostly to address the issue of "pdfhref" links with a "hot-spot"
spanning page breaks, which now appear to work reliably, in all
but one case--if a link appears in a footnote diversion, which
gets output within a page transition which is also spanned by
another link, then all bets are off!

Actually, links don't work very well in diversions in any case,
and are best avoided with the current implementation.  I have
also made some changes to address this issue, but have not yet
fully tested this aspect.

Since you have expressed a continuing interest, now would seem
a good time to issue a further patch, so that you can evaluate
from the same basis as myself.  As before, the attached

   pdfmark.tmac.diff-20041206.gz

is relative to the original tarball, while

   pdfmark.tmak.patch-20041206.gz

applies to a pdfmark.tmac with all of the earlier patches
already applied.

If you are starting from scratch, don't bother with the two
interim patches--just download the original tarball and apply
this latest pdfmark.tmac.diff-20041206.gz

Anyone who has kept up with the earlier patches, should instead
apply this new pdfmark.tmac.patch-20041206.gz

Either approach will bring you up to date with the current
development state of the pdfmark macros.  I have also added some
additional content in the documentation file "pdfmark.pdf",
(which you create from "pdfmark.ms", by invoking either

   ./pdfmake pdfmark

or

   make -f pdfmake pdfmark

in the "contrib/pdfmark" directory.  However, there is still a
way to go, before even this preliminary documentation could be
considered complete, and I would also like to provide it in
texinfo format, with one or two summary manpages.

HTH,
Keith.