Re: [Groff] PostScript question

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] PostScript question
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:58:39 -0500

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 04:02:53PM -0500, Alejandro López-Valencia wrote:
> > On 29/10/2004 03:21 p.m., Peter Schaffter wrote:
> > >I had someone write me saying that when they processed a mom
> > >file with groff 1.18.1 for PostScript output, the letters ACEI
> > >(both upper and lower) were coming out as ] (i.e. as right square
> > >brackets).
> > >
> > [snip]
> > >
> > >Can someone explain why the .ps file sent to me has the text
> > >in code, while the file I generated shows the text as text?  And
> > >why ACEI are coming out as brackets?  Is it a font problem, a gs
> > >problem, or a grops problem?
> >
> > I would think your bug reporter is using some hacked version of groff
> > either with the Japanese or the Hangul patches; the fact that the output
> > is hex encoded is quite telling.
>
> I'm so close to dropping those patches from Debian altogether.
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=196762 is nearly a year
> and a half old now, and I've had no real help from the CJK porters to
> get the patch updated for current groff. :-(

I can't be certain, but my feeling is that the majority (though
certainly not all) of groff users are working in a language that
uses the Roman alphabet and its common variants.  If the CJK
patches are interfering with those users' ability to run groff
smoothly, I'd think dropping the patches for now would indeed be a
good idea.  I was dismayed at not being able to help the OP.

OT --my novel, _The Schumann Proof_ whose imminent publication I've
been publicizing for a while after my email sig, has finally hit the
shelves.  Hooray!

Canadians should be able to get it easily at Chapters/Indigo or
their local independent bookseller.  Elsewhere, if you're interested
and are having trouble finding it, you can order it online from
Amazon.

--
Peter Schaffter
  Author of _The Schumann Proof_ (RendezVous Press, Canada)