[Groff] Re: Grohtml mega patch

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Groff] Re: Grohtml mega patch
Date: 14 Oct 2004 10:20:43 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> >   (*) there is now a small regression test-suite, but hey it is very
> >       easy to add more tests :-).
>
> What I miss in the test files is an exact description of what shall
> happen.

ok this can be done. I refrained from doing this in case macro sets
are tweaked and the glyph positions change slightly. Instead I
thought to use troff state machine assertions which are verified
by post-grohtml.

> >       At least they can be executed automatically without the need
> >       to check them using a browser.  You simply
> >
> >             cd groff-build-directory ; make check-groff
> >
> >         though developers will need to install dejagnu.
>
> You have still to inspect the test output, right?

well not necessarily. When the assertion fails post-grohtml exits with
a non zero value and dejagnu records 1 test failure.

>  Would it make sense to add some result files also?

Yes, certainly the tests would become more extensive if they were
diff'ed against expected output. I think this is a good idea for the
troff low level tests - as this output should not change.. shall I
generate the relevant files?

The example directory simply builds, pic.html and webpage.html. The
test here is only questioning whether -Thtml can build these files
without crashing.  A limited but still useful test.

Gaius