[Groff] Anomalous -mtrace Behaviour?

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: [Groff] Anomalous -mtrace Behaviour?
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 18:56:19 +0100

Has anyone else noticed the following anomalous behaviour, which I am seeing
when I process an ms document with -mtrace?

I am trying to solve a problem in my pdfmark.tmac package, to properly handle
the creation of links where the active region spans a page break. To achieve
this, I have used an `am' request to add my own hook to the end of ms'
address@hidden trap macro. This seems to achieve the desired effect, except
that
when I invoke -mtrace, my hook seems to be executed *twice* at each page
break, whereas it *should* be executed only once -- as it is when -mtrace is
not invoked.

The attached minimal test case illustrates the phenomenon.  Invoke it using

    groff -ms testcase.ms > untraced.ps
    groff -mtrace -ms testcase.ms > traced.ps

and note the difference between the two Postscript files, at the top of the
second page.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Keith.