Re: [Groff] poll: which macro packages are in common use / and why.

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] poll: which macro packages are in common use / and why.
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 13:46:09 +0200

> Very nice!  I have just one thing to complain: The used Courier font
> size is too small for the selected base font.

You think so?  Yes, the letters *are* slighly shorter, but then
Courier-Bold is by design a very "massive" font, and I'd guess
both fonts are what their designers assumed appropriate for a
10-point font.  Anyway, I hadn't attempted to change this since
it didn't appear visually distracting to me.  On the contrary,
I would have thought that setting Courier larger would make
it appear too obtrusive.  But maybe you're right; maybe not.
See file test-1.pdf.

By the way, is there any simple way to achieve what you suggested
(i.e., set a particular font always a fraction larger or smaller
than the other fonts)?  I didn't see any, meaning that I would
have to go through all macros and, depending on the current font
and the new font, also consider a size change wherever a font
change is requested.  (But then again, that's the reason for
writing a macro package: to move the complexities and details,
no matter how finicky, away from the actual manuscript.)

Anyway, in this particular case I went the quick and dirty way
of making a copy of Courier-Bold with a changed FontMatrix,
generated a new metrics file from the modified font (luckily
we don't have to worry about kerning pairs etc. in a monospaced
font), and then used this modified font in the new file.
But I don't see how one could do this as easily using, for
example, the PCL device.

> And where can we find the macros?

They're in the same directory.

> BTW, since you talk about `H II regions', you must have written your
> thesis in astrophysics, right?

That's right -- but on hot stars, not H II regions.