RE: [Groff] Driving a daisywheel

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] Driving a daisywheel
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 22:16:00 +0100 (BST)

On 25-Sep-04 Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> I'm hoping there are geeks out there venerable enough to remember
> something about printing to a daisywheel. I just scored an IBM
> Wheelwriter 10 Series II 6783 typewriter with parallel print option
> from Freecycle.
>
> There's nothing about printer codes in the manual, and seemingly
> nothing on the net about controlling it. Dunno if it'll talk Diablo
> or Qume codes, but even these seem to have almost entirely dropped
> from memory.
>
> cheers,
>   Stewart

Hi Stewart! Long time out of touch!

Your shot in the dark came at least close enough for its passage
to be sensed. About 20 years ago I hacked SQtroff to drive a
dot-matrix (big chunk of metal maufactured by Sanders) and about
the same time had CP/M WordStar driving a Diablo (with tweaks).

I may just be able to scrape together enough dust from the
sarcophagus to create a viable skeleton for you ... I may even
still have the Diablo  manual (which certainly has the codes
in it).

Get in touch off-list with more detail and we'll see what we
can work out.

Cheers,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861   [NB: New number!]
Date: 25-Sep-04                                       Time: 19:00:18