[Groff] Re: Spelling [was Possible Bug in s.tmac]

From: Manas Laha
Subject: [Groff] Re: Spelling [was Possible Bug in s.tmac]
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 09:26:42 +0530

I thought I'd add some Asian flavour to this discussion. Until not too
long ago -- twenty years, say -- we here in India used to consider
British English as _the_ English language. Perhaps not any more. During
this time, thanks to large-scale computerisation and multiple channels
on TV showing Hollywood movies, American spellings and idioms are being
seen and heard more and more often. And I suspect this is true also of
many other countries where English is not natively spoken.

As for the prevalence of American spelling in the groff documentation, I
guess its because James Clark wanted to preserve in groff as much of the
"look and feel" of n/troff as possible.

- Manas Laha

This Mail is Certified to be Virus Free.
CIC Network Security Group, IIT Kharagpur