[Groff] Spelling [was Possible Bug in s.tmac]

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: [Groff] Spelling [was Possible Bug in s.tmac]
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:14:59 -0400

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004, Meg McRoberts wrote:

> I must say that I've always questioned the decision of the technical
> community to make American English the standard.

I suspect the reason has to do with the economy of bytes.  By and
large, American spellings are leaner and meaner, making them the
obvious choice back when size (smaller = better) mattered.  "Donut"
vs "doughnut," for example.  Plus, American spellings tend to
be slightly more phonetic than British, making them easier for
non-English speakers to master.

--
Peter Schaffter
Author of _The Schumann Proof_ (RendezVous Press, Canada)