Re: <OK> [Groff] poll: which macro packages are in common use / and why.

From: M Bianchi
Subject: Re: <OK> [Groff] poll: which macro packages are in common use / and why.
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:03:51 -0400

Robert,

I use (an ever so slightly customized version of) mm, mostly because I learned
it thoroughly during the 1970s and 80s, kept current during the 90s, and was
never really seduced by the WYSIWYG document formaters.  Besides, I compute
many of my documents:
        data -> program -> ( [nt]roff + macros ) -> PostScript -> PDF

So my motivation is I know mm (and man) in my spine and I've internalized a lot
of the weirdness that survives.  (I really thank whoever put N-character names
into the roffs.  That was the biggest annoyance.)

If I had to start over, I would look real hard at mom.  The definition of
"compatability" is "all bugs perserved."  I would want to see if mom had a
better model and fewer left-over odditites.
                                                        Mike Bianchi

--
 Mike Bianchi
 Foveal Systems

 +1 973 822-2085        Voice; call to arrange Fax

 address@hidden

 Create videos of auditorium and classroom presentations without a crew?
                                 Yes!
 http://www.AutoAuditorium.com