[Groff] Ds and De Definitions Removed from s.tmac?

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: [Groff] Ds and De Definitions Removed from s.tmac?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:59:19 +0100

Hi Werner,

In the CVS ChangeLog, I see:

  2004-08-01  Werner LEMBERG  <address@hidden>

    * tmac/s.tmac: Undo change 2003-06-29.  The proper macro definitions
    are already in X11's `macros.t' file.

This appears to refer to the deletion of the pair of .als requests,
mapping Ds and De to DS and DE respectively.

Unfortunately, when you added this pair of aliases, you also documented
them, both in the man page, groff_ms, and in the texinfo doc, and this
documentation would still appear to be in place.

I have no issue with the ultimate deletion of this pair of aliases
-- indeed, I believe it is better to encourage the use of DS and DE,
rather than these non-standard (in the ms sense) aliases.  However,
since they were at one time officially documented, IMHO, a more formal
and publicly visible notification of their deprecation is required, and
the documentation should be updated accordingly.

A suggested patch, for the NEWS file, and for the two documentation
files, is attached.

Best regards,
Keith.