[Groff] Re: How to contribute tbl enhancement?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: How to contribute tbl enhancement?
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 00:03:31 +0200 (CEST)

> I have modified version 1.19 of groff tbl to implement the expanded
> column feature that was present in the last AT&T version of tbl.

Sounds interesting!

> 1. It seems as if groff may not be hosted by FFII, anymore. I wanted
>    to see if I was still subscribed to any of the mailing lists, but
>    there does not seem to be a groff list. Furthermore, it looks
>    like the mail archives were cut off in early September, since
>    there is only a single message.

groff has moved to gnu.org.  See below for the announcement sent to
the groff mailing list.

> 2. I have never used CVS. What do I have to do to access the code?

See below also -- just follow the links.

> 3. I would appreciate someone taking a look at my changes, since I
>    am a novice at the internals of groff tbl. I can send along a
>    package of the changes for review if I knew where to send them.

be subscribed)

> 4. I understand that as of 19.1 that the "x" modifier may have been
>    consumed by the user-defined macro feature. If so, I would
>    appreciate a suggestion as to which letter would be preferred.

It's a pity that we have a clash here.  Theoretically, it would be
still possible to have `x' without an argument to work similar to AT&T
tbl, and `x' with argument is GNU's macro extension.  I wonder whether
this is a good idea or whether this leads to confusion...

Before I can include your code in groff I need a copyright disclaimer
in case your change is longer than about 20 lines of code.

As mentioned earlier, the stuff formerly available from
ftp://ftp.ffii.org/pub/groff can now be temporarily found here:

  http://groff.ffii.org/groff

I will move it in the near future to ftp.gnu.org.

The CVS can be accessed using the following cvsroot:

  :ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/groff

You have to use ssh, for example:

  export CVS_RSH=ssh
  cvs -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/groff co groff

to check out the groff repository.  Automatical creation of snapshots
and diffs will be set up shortly, I hope; similarly, I will update the
html pages in the near future [both items haven't happened yet].

Please report problems to me and to address@hidden