Possible Bug in s.tmac (forked from: [Groff] pointsize changes in .NH ms

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Possible Bug in s.tmac (forked from: [Groff] pointsize changes in .NH ms-macro)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:12:26 +0100

In s.tmac, I see ...

    .de SH-NO-TAG
    address@hidden
    .\" Keep together the heading
    .\" and the first two lines of the next paragraph.
    .ne 3v+\\n[\\n[.ev]:PD]u+\\n(.Vu
    .sp 1
    .ft B
    ..

... this being invoked by both .NH and .SH, to establish spacing
and bolding, for the following heading.

As I noted in an earlier thread, there may be a bug here.  In fact,
I have now checked, and can confirm that the ".ne 3v..." request in
the above does *not* keep two lines of the following with the header
-- it requests only sufficient space for one blank line before the
heading, one line of heading, and *one* line of the following
paragraph!

If we *really* want to keep two lines of the following paragraph
with the header, then we need to change this definition ...

    .
    .
    .ne 4v+\\n[\\n[.ev]:PD]u+\\n(.Vu
    .
    .

Alternatively, if we prefer to keep the functionality as is, then
the comment should be changed ...

    .
    .
    .\" Keep the heading
    .\" and the first line of the next paragraph together
    .
    .

On a similar note, the par*start macro requests sufficient space
for the paragraph separating space set in \n(PD, followed by *one*
line of text.  While this is probably the behaviour normally expected
of ms,  we *could* add some orphan line prevention here, by asking
for space for two lines of text.

I'll gladly provide a patch to implement whichever of these changes
the list membership would prefer -- IMHO, *one* of the above is
required, to eliminate the inconsistency between the comment and
the actual space request for the header, but I have no strong
preference regarding par*start.

Any thoughts, please.

Best regards,
Keith.