[Groff] conversion to DOC format

From: Dean Allen Provins
Subject: [Groff] conversion to DOC format
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:03:54 -0600

Fellow groff folk:

I am pleased to say that I managed to graduate, having written and
successfully defended my thesis which I wrote using groff and friends.
I should add that I am indebted to many on this list for their assistance.
Without it, the document would not have been such a masterpiece (it
looked good, even read acceptably well - but that isn't groff).

I included an index which listed principal authors of papers/books that
I referenced, as well as every word that I made bold or italicized.
This was done with macros that I wrote, or modified based on
'ms', or from suggestions from participants on this list.  With your
help, I managed to get tables of contents and lists of figures and
tables to appear in the correct place, with the correct page numbering
(and location of the number).

I am very pleased with groff, and try to promote it as a viable
alternative to other text or word processing programs.  Unfortunately,
it doesn't quite 'fit the bill' for my next adventure - finding suitable
employment.

Many firms or government agencies require cover letters and resumes in
Microsoft Word (i.e. .DOC) format.  Alas groff doesn't generate this
format but of course, I prefer to use it (i.e. groff).  Have any readers
of this list faced this problem and found a way to convert?  I am aware
that OpenOffice has a DOC output capability, and it has occurred to me
that I might be able to use that code in a groff post processor, but
it makes sense to check with you first.  If you have any suggestions,
I would be pleased to hear from you.

Thanks again for the help over these past few years.

Regards,

Dean
--
                         Dr. Dean Provins, P. Geoph.