Re: [Groff] Hyphenation in German

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Hyphenation in German
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 22:46:19 +0200 (CEST)

> I am using the German SuSE Linux 9.1 which was recently released and
> so I thought all software were up to date.  (SuSE 9.1 is very bad
> and I am very angry.  But that is another story).

I know too well...

> But, when I searched for the newest rpm of Groff I didn't find one,
> so I downloaded what I could find (at ffii). I made the mistake not
> to remove the old Groff first.  Therefore the old files are still on
> my computer.

1.19 isn't the newest (which is 1.19.1).  It isn't necessary to remove
the old stuff; `./configure; make; make install' (after expanding the
groff-1.19.1.tar.gz archive) overwrites the binaries but puts the
macro stuff in a versioned directory.

> After having done like you said and used "strace" it turns out that
> other directories are used. These are:
>
> /usr/local/share/groff/1.19/

Remember that RPMs (from most distributions) by default install data
into the /usr/... hierarchy (/usr/bin, /usr/share/, ...), while a GNU
source code archive by default installs into
/usr/local/... (/usr/local/share, etc.).

> So what I did was to copy hyphen.den and tmac.de first to:
>
> /usr/local/share/groff/site-tmac/

This is the right place for a groff binary installed in /usr/local/bin.

> then, as it still didn't work,

Why not?  Where does groff search?  What does strace report?