RE: [Groff] groff mailman problems

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] groff mailman problems
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:49:30 +0100 (BST)

On 18-Jun-04 Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> Besides getting spam, there is also the opposite problem (which
> happens almost daily for me): Some viruses, pretending to be sent from
> a groff mailing list member to the mailman administration interface,
> can set the `nomail' attribute!  This means that while you are still
> subscribed to the groff mailing list, you won't receive any emails.

Dear Werner,
First of all, thanks for all your efforts to try to resolve the spam
problem on the groff mailing list. It has clearly proved very frustrating.

Secondly, though, I am very concerned by your revelation that some of
these viruses are capable of setting individual user accounts to "nomail".
I hadn't heard of this before, and it suggests a kind of individual
"targetting", a suggestion possibly reinforced by your experience that
it happens almost daily to you (it hasn't happened, as far as I'm aware,
to me on any email list I'm subscribed to, including the groff list).

On the other hand, as many readers will be aware, I myself have been
the alleged "sender" of masses of lurid emails which, when they come,
arrive in prolonged barrages, to the point where I have wondered (as
have some of the list readers) whether I'm personally being targetted.

So -- and I don't like appearing to be paranoid -- I am beginning to
wonder more stribgly than before whether there is a deliberate attempt
on the part of someone out there to sabotage either the groff list
or some of its members. Or to sabotage groff itself.

These are just thoughts, and unfortunately I don't have the expertise
about internet/email/mailservers/viruses etc. to come to properly
informed views. So I'd welcome any comments from people who feel
they know enough about the wired world to evaluate such suggestions,
or to contribute suggestions of their own.

Whatever the case may be about all that, it will clearly be welcome
when the list finally migrates to the GNU host!

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972