Re: [Groff] a couple of problems with macro -me

From: Robert Goulding
Subject: Re: [Groff] a couple of problems with macro -me
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 15:14:12 -0500

On Jun 19, 2004, at 10:40 AM, Daniel Senderowicz wrote:

Hi folks,

I can't figure out how to solve these:

1) I'm trying to print a footer with "M - N" where 'M' is the
chapter number (\n(ch) and 'N' is the page number (%). So I did:

.fo ''\n(ch - %''

and also tried with:

.fo ''\\n(ch - %''

and neither of them work. It prints "0 - N" where N is the
correct page number but the 0 (zero) stays throughout the whole
document even though I'm able to use \n(ch in different contexts.
I did a dirty trick of writing the .fo request at the beginning
of every chapter but I would like to know what I'm doing wrong.

I've had this problem (or something like it) before. Either keep doubling the number of backslashes until it does work (I had to set up one document with \\\\\\\\n(ch !) or use the groff-extension escape \E; you should find that \En(ch interpolates the number register at just the right time.

2) In-line equations with delayed text is acting up. If I have a
construct like:

.(x
This is the square root of pi $ sqrt pi $
.)x

then the printout at the end of the document gets messed up. I
have the "delim $$" properly set up, although there are parts of
the document in which I undefine and define again, but they are
always defined when I construct either the lines above or when I
do the .xp request.
Any ideas? Thanks,

This does seem to be a real problem with -me. Fortunately, a little experimentation suggests a workaround.

This works perfectly

.EQ
delim $$
.EN