Re: [Groff] Section 9 manpages

From: Jorgen Grahn
Subject: Re: [Groff] Section 9 manpages
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 01:12:36 +0200

On Fri Jun 18 20:28:03 2004, address@hidden wrote:
> Am Freitag, 18. Juni 2004 18:36 schrieb Meg McRoberts:
> > Hi all,
> > Section 9 of the Linux manpage scheme is reserved for "kernel
> > interfaces" or some such.  Has anyone ever seen a Section 9
> > manpage or know anything about them?
> I have a lot on my SuSE 9.1 at:
> /usr/share/man/man9/
> very handy for linux driver programming, e.g. all the pci_ and usb_ functions
> are documented
>
> $ du -sh /usr/share/man/man9/
> 3,2M    /usr/share/man/man9/

No such thing on my Debian box.  A bit of searching shows that:
- There was a project to create section 9 man pages for the
  Linux kernel around 1997 or so, but as far as I can see it
  quickly died.
- There is a 'mandocs' make target in the Linux kernel source tree, but it
  generates (for 2.4.26) only 1.4M of troff source, and the layout and content
  seems very poor.

A bit less offtopic: it also seems the FreeBSD and NetBSD projects
reserve the section 9 for kernel-related manpages.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jörgen Grahn                  ¡Vamos a Tuva y Ross!
\X/ <address@hidden>