Re: [Groff] Re: Adding styles to DESC

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Adding styles to DESC
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 02:25:02 -0400

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> In general, I believe that we abuse .fam more or less.  As it has been
> implemented, in combination with the `-f' command line flag, its
> intended use is to change the font family once, namely at the start of
> a document.

Overall, I have to say I'm in agreement with Werner on this.  That
I, and other macro writers, creatively "abuse" .fam doesn't, IMO,
mean that it needs re-thinking.  On the contrary, it's an
affirmation of this nugget from cstr54:

"Joe Ossanna's _troff_ remains a remarkable accomplishment...taking
unbelievable abuse from a variety of preprocessors and being forced
into uses that were never conceived of in the original design, all
with considerable grace under fire."

--
Peter Schaffter

Author of _The Schumann Proof_, appearing fall, 2004
(pub. RendezVous Press, Canada)