Re: [Groff] TeX fonts and groff

From: Roger Leigh
Subject: Re: [Groff] TeX fonts and groff
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:12:43 +0100

Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> writes:

[Slap! C-c C-c is not message-elide-region!  I'll try again]

> I fear I phrased my question badly.  Seem to be doing that a lot
> recently.  I didn't mean "just any collection of TeX fonts," but
> rather "specific TeX fonts that are plainly available on my (Debian)
> installation (of tetex), but only as .vf's and .tfm's."

> Is there some sort of licensing issue invovled here?  Foundries
> have donated fonts to TeX, but you can only use those fonts if
> you're running TeX?

If this restriction was true, the fonts would not be available as part
of Debian.  This is required by the Debian Free Software Guidelines:

,----
|   6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
|
|      The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in
|      a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the
|      program from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic
|      research.
|
|   9. License Must Not Contaminate Other Software
|
|      The license must not place restrictions on other software that is
|      distributed along with the licensed software. For example, the license
|      must not insist that all other programs distributed on the same medium
|      must be free software.
`----

So the licence cannot prevent you using the fonts for whatever purpose
you like, or place additional requirements on other licences.

Regards,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh