Re: [Groff] TeX fonts and groff

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] TeX fonts and groff
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:42:14 -0400

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > Can one make TeX fonts available to groff for use with -Tps instead
> > of -Tdvi?  IOW, somehow create a .pfa or .pfb file from a TeX font,
> > get the .afm, and create a font suitable for font/devps?
>
> Yes, of course.  I suggest to try the cm-super or lm fonts, available
> from CTAN (e.g. ftp.dante.de/pub/tex/fonts).  Those fonts are glyph
> containers having more than 256 glyphs, and both families already come
> with AFM files, IIRC.
>
> Using those fonts, you will get huge output files since groff doesn't
> do font subsetting.  You should probably convert the PS files to PDF
> and back to PS to get smaller output.
>

>     Werner

I fear I phrased my question badly.  Seem to be doing that a lot
recently.  I didn't mean "just any collection of TeX fonts," but
rather "specific TeX fonts that are plainly available on my (Debian)
installation (of tetex), but only as .vf's and .tfm's."

For example, in my /usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/ and
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/vf, there exist .vf's and .tfm's for
cg/optima.  I'd like to make the Optima fonts available to -Tps,
which would require .pfa or .pfb files.  Scour as I might the CTAN
site, I can't discover .pfa or .pfb files for anything resembling
om<whatever>__.pfa/b.  Hence, I'm wondering how to generate the
.pfa/b's myself, in order to use the fonts with groff -Tps.  Or,
barring that, where to get my hands on the .pfa/b's for the fonts
that come with my TeX installation.  The cm-super and lm fonts you
mention exist on CTAN as .pfb's.  But where are the others?

Is there some sort of licensing issue invovled here?  Foundries
have donated fonts to TeX, but you can only use those fonts if
you're running TeX?

--
Peter Schaffter

Author of _The Schumann Proof_, appearing fall, 2004
(pub. RendezVous Press, Canada)