Re: [Groff] gtbl, T{ ... T} doesn't work?

From: Dorai Sitaram
Subject: Re: [Groff] gtbl, T{ ... T} doesn't work?
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:24:49 -0400 (EDT)

> > The text block feature doesn't seem to work at all in gtbl!
> >
> > .TS tab(@); l l l.  1 @ 2 @ 3 1 @ T{ a long text block T} @ 3 .TE
> >
> > simply reproduces the T{ and T} verbatim.  Am I doing something
> > syntactically wrong?  If so, can someone give me a short example of T{
> > ... T} used right?  Thanks.
>
> You have to have a newline directly after the T{ and T} should be the first
> thing on the line.

I'm sorry.  My editor automatically filled my text (because of a lousy
plugin I wrote :).  I meant:

  .TS
  tab(@);
  l l l.
  1 @ 2 @ 3
  1 @ T{
  long
  text
  block
  T} @ 3
  .TE

(with the common left margin elided).

It appears that it is not enough for the T{ to be the last thing on a
line and the T} to be the first thing on a line.  Apparently T{ should
immediately follow tab or beginning-of-line, and T} should immediately
precede tab or end-of-line.  However, I don't think I've ever seen this
further restriction ever spelled out, in the online documentation or
even the venerable UTP.