Re: [Groff] Offtopic: any possibility this lists spam issue might be fix

From: Bruno Hertz
Subject: Re: [Groff] Offtopic: any possibility this lists spam issue might be fixed?
Date: 30 May 2004 12:52:10 +0200

On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 02:36, MJ Ray wrote:

> That's fine, they have other things to work on, but this
> list needs to move where it will get support.

I doubt wether it is fine, since it's not just about our list. As I
gather from these sightings
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=genba%20ffii
genba.ffii.org is more or less a spam relay. The problem seems to
have started about June 2003.

FYI, following my yesterday attempt on header analysis, I again received
spam mails, but this time with headers like those from Ted. I.e. those
headers, and not just the from line, are actually forged. It looks like
those spammers just wanted to rub it into my face.

Again, I can only guess where the problem lies, but I strongly suspect
that genba is compromised. So as said, it's not just our list's problem.

> So, where can it move to? Even moving to a GNU.org list may be a
> better idea, although it introduces lag for us Europeans. It would
> feel good to move a GNU software off a non-free-software server like
> FFII's.

I don't know about the options (gnu.org? lists.sourceforge.net?), but
moving the list would sure be a good idea, since this looks like a
continuing hassle. Does anybody here feel responsible for the list?

Bruno