Re: [Groff] groff 1.19.1 compile/installation failure

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff 1.19.1 compile/installation failure
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 11:38:32 -0400

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 01:10:46PM +0100, MARSHALL Keith wrote:
> Larry Jones wrote:
> Anyway, since our objective is to make groff build on as many systems as
> possible, perhaps to achieve maximum reliability, we should simply rewrite
> this rule as explicitly as possible, i.e.
> [snip]

I'm all for that, but let's not forget that the g in groff stands
for *GNU*, and it's not unreasonable to expect someone who wants
to compile it to have the Gnu toolset on hand.

The original post that started this thread complained that the
BSD make would not work.  That's because the syntax between the
traditional BSD make and Gnu make are quite different.  The
difference has nothing to do with Linux compatibility except in
so far as Linux uses the Gnu tools.

I run FreeBSD on several of my machines, and I have to deal with
this problem often.  The answer is simple: install a copy of
gmake on your machine and use it to compile those programs (most
as it turns out) that expect it.

That said, I applaud those who are trying to make life easier for
users on all platforms, but I do think that those users should
remember that groff is (a) a GNU tool, and (b) free, so the sence
of entitlement that a few posters have been exhibiting lately is
unbecoming.

jcs

P.S.  I'm responding to Larry because his post is the latest in
this thread, but my remarks are certainly not addressed to him.
As I say, I applaud his efforts and those of the others who are
laboring to make all our lives easier.