Re: [Groff] groff 1.19.1 compile/installation failure

From: MARSHALL Keith
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff 1.19.1 compile/installation failure
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:19:45 +0100

Larry Kollar wrote:
> 1.19.1 compiles OK under MacOS X (10.2/Jaguar), but on the
> CVS version, the documentation build dies at:
>
> makeinfo -I . ./groff.texinfo
> ./groff.texinfo:435: Unknown command `tie'.
> ./groff.texinfo:435: Misplaced {.
> ./groff.texinfo:435: Misplaced }.
> [repeated many times]
> Too many errors! Gave up.
> make[2]: *** [groff] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [doc] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> % makeinfo --version
> makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.2
> etc....
>
> This also happens when attempting to build HTML with
> "makeinfo --html groff.texinfo" in both 1.19.1 and CVS.

I noted this exact same problem myself, some time ago, on my
GNU/Linux box.  Werner kindly pointed me to the README.CVS file.

You will note that you need texinfo v4.6, to successfully process
the texinfo documentation -- earlier versions produce various
errors, and the above is what we see with v4.2; (that was the
version I had on my GNU/Linux box).  I had v4.5, on my Win2K
box -- it also failed, but with a different error message.

HTH.

Best regards,
Keith.