Re: [Groff] deletion of *~ files for `make mostlyclean'

From: MARSHALL Keith
Subject: Re: [Groff] deletion of *~ files for `make mostlyclean'
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 09:58:27 +0100

On Sat 15-May-2004, Mikko Työläjärvi <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The portable way to do this is surely
>>
>>         -find -type f -name '*~' -exec rm -f {} \;
>
> A portable version also requires one or more path names before the
> predicates, e.g. "find . -type ...".  Omitting the path is a GNU-ism.

You are quite correct, Mikko.

I did notice that I had omitted the path spec, *after* I had
posted the above.  Then I checked my GNU manpage, and saw that
it was optional -- had I checked on one of my Solaris boxes,
I would have have realised that non-GNU implementations require
it, and would have posted a correction.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Best regards,
Keith.