Re: [Groff] German Umlaute, ISO-8859-1, postscript.

From: Bruno Hertz
Subject: Re: [Groff] German Umlaute, ISO-8859-1, postscript.
Date: 17 May 2004 09:48:57 +0200

On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 23:58, Roger Leigh wrote:

> The only thing holding this back are tools (such as groff) that can't
> cope.  For those, you can recode on the fly, or leave them in the old
> encoding for the time being.

That's the point with any change resp. migration, isn't it? My trouble
discussed here originated from me using a multibyte incapable vi port.
But there were others.

A year ago business colleagues complained my mails would contain weird
characters when opened (in their admittedly old) Lotus Notes client, so
I told gnus to use iso-8859-1 for encoding instead of the utf-8 default.
And it does so until now, I just never dared to change that.

Often enough, you have to find the greatest common denominator, and
I guess that's what Jorgen tried to point out.

Thanks, Bruno.