[Groff] German Umlaute, ISO-8859-1, postscript.

From: Bruno Hertz
Subject: [Groff] German Umlaute, ISO-8859-1, postscript.
Date: 16 May 2004 15:41:25 +0200

Hi folks

this may be a faq, but since an extensive web search didn't
bring up an answer I try it here.

Problem is I'm trying to get 8 bit german umlauts work with
groff postscript output.

More specifically: with environment
 LANG=de_DE.ISO-8859-1
 LC_CTYPE=de_DE.ISO-8859-1
in vi I type in umlauts like ü directly into my groff source
text file (e.g. source.txt).

Accordingly,
 cat source.txt
as well as
 groff -Tlatin1 source.txt
display those umlauts correctly on my xterm.

However
 groff -Tps source.txt | ggv -
does not, e.g. for ü I get some strange ü .
On the other hand \(u: displays correctly in ps output.

Question hence: is there a way to make those 8bit chars
work correctly with groff when producing postscript output
too?

Thanks a lot
Bruno