Re: [Groff] Draft paper: "Writing Effective Manual Pages"

From: Jorgen Grahn
Subject: Re: [Groff] Draft paper: "Writing Effective Manual Pages"
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 22:09:41 +0200

On Sat May  8 18:56:57 2004, address@hidden wrote:
> > As a side note, maybe I would not be here now if there would not
> > have been the old AT&T documents which are usually very good and
> > much more concise than the GNU manuals.
>
> What exactly do you mean?
>
> > Lots of similar ways to do one thing and its not easily obvious
> > which is the standard and important one.
>
> Please go into details so that I can improve the docs.

Relevant to Matthias' comments is that he seems to run Debian 'Woody' (well,
at least his mail headers say so). The default groff in Woody is still
1.17.2 -- old version, and of course the old, inferior documentation.

Matthias: everyone seems to agree that the documentation has improved
/a lot/ since 1.17.

BR,
Jörgen

--
  // Jörgen Grahn       "And then the design was ignored, and small children
\X/ <address@hidden>  with crayons were given the O'Reilly Perl books and