Re: [Groff] Draft paper: "Writing Effective Manual Pages"

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Draft paper: "Writing Effective Manual Pages"
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 18:56:57 +0200 (CEST)

> In contrast to this I started with the troff tutorial by Kernighan
> and then the User's Manual by Ossana and Kernighan and have now a
> quite confident feeling that I know the basics enough and can
> quickly locate more specific requests.

Note that you'll miss many useful groff additions if you concentrate
on those two documents only (for example, the use of brackets to allow
identifiers longer than two characters).

> As a side note, maybe I would not be here now if there would not
> have been the old AT&T documents which are usually very good and
> much more concise than the GNU manuals.

What exactly do you mean?

> Lots of similar ways to do one thing and its not easily obvious
> which is the standard and important one.

Please go into details so that I can improve the docs.

> And to go even further off topic, I dont like the info system very
> much.

There are two reasons for using texinfo:

  . It is the preferred GNU documentation system.

  . Trent Fisher has already started with groff.texinfo which I've
    extended over time

> I think the reason (for me) is the lack of an indented TOC and that
> I always get lost in the levels and cross references.  I dont know
> where I am on a regular basis :)

Are you talking about groff.pdf, available from
ftp.ffii.org/pub/groff?