Re: [Groff] Draft paper: "Writing Effective Manual Pages"

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Draft paper: "Writing Effective Manual Pages"
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 10:52:20 -0400

Pete Phillips:
> Perhaps the advice should be, "keep it as
> short as possible, but as long as necessary" :-)

I *LIKE* it! It's a lot more catchy (and thus easier to remember) than "short
and complete, but if there's a conflict complete wins." I'm offically
abandoning the
idea of recommending a set page limit.

Meg McRoberts:
> I think a distillation of this discussion would be a
> very interesting addition to this paper.  It's taken
> the rest of us a long time and a lot of man pages to
> understand the issues, and this information could be
> very helpful to people who are just starting to write
> man pages.

It's all stewing away in my mental crock pot. :-) Since
you've indicated a need for something like this, I'll try
to get the next draft out by Friday or so & send you a
copy. Sounds like you need to point your people at the
HOWTO as well, to give them the framework if nothing else.

     Larry