[Groff] Re: new groff release

From: Colin Watson
Subject: [Groff] Re: new groff release
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 18:13:32 +0100

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 02:38:10PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> I'll release a new version of groff (1.19.1) in the next few days.
>
> Bernd Warken has told me that Debian (and other distributions) are
> reluctant to update since groff apparently depends on recent texinfo
> versions.  Is this true?

No - Bernd didn't actually ask me, so I'm not sure how he knows my
reasons :-)

My problems with updating are documented in
http://bugs.debian.org/196762. I'd love to update, but the conflicts in
grops were hideous and I never managed to figure out a working
resolution ...

> Bernd has sent me a special version of his `groffer' package which
> fixes bugs in 1.18.1.  I could easily release 1.18.2 which would be
> completely identical to 1.18.1 + Bernd's groffer changes.  Does this
> make sense?  Would e.g. the Debian people actually update from 1.18.1
> to 1.18.2?

I could even just drop that new version of groffer into the Debian
package; no problem with that.

> PS: Currently, groff.pdf can be built only with texinfo 2.6 due to
>     severe bugs in texinfo 2.7 which haven't yet fixed even in the
>     CVS.

Debian currently has texinfo 2.6.

> PPS: Don't ask when a Unicode groff can be expected :-( Volunteers are
>      highly welcome to extend groff from 8bit to 32bit input
>      characters.

Do you have any idea of where to start, or whether it can be done
piecewise?

--
Colin Watson                                  address@hidden