Re: [Groff] Draft paper: "Writing Effective Manual Pages"

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Groff] Draft paper: "Writing Effective Manual Pages"
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 20:56:49 +0100

On 2004-05-03 12:13:31 +0100 (Ted Harding) <address@hidden> wrote:

Maybe this is a "generation" thing. People who dug their way into
UNIX in the old days developed a facility for mentally linking the
cross-references implicit in the old-style man pages, [...]

Probably not a "generation" thing. I've used and written both. I'm quite emacs-friendly, so info navigation causes me no trouble. Despite that, I prefer to have man pages for executables. I think info is a better format for electronic books, although I'm not sure it has much advantage over well-produced xhtml-based ones any more.

Yes to one page per executable. It lets you see at a glance just why zsh and bash are way too complicated ;-) perlfaq almost certainly shouldn't be man pages...

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.