Re: [Groff] checking if groff was called with -U

From: Dorai Sitaram
Subject: Re: [Groff] checking if groff was called with -U
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:41:38 -0400 (EDT)

Ted Harding wrote

> On 26-Apr-04 Dorai Sitaram wrote:
> > Is there a way to check from the input text if groff was called in
> > unsafe mode?
>
> Do you mean output text?
>
> You cannot expect to tell from the input text whether groff was
> called in "unsafe" mode, since groff has not necessarily been
> called at all, whatever the contents of the text.

Hi.  I meant it in the way Larry Kollar read it.  I wanted a troff
conditional test expression that I could use in the input text to decide
to do one of two different things, one if groff was called in unsafe
mode, and the other if wasn't.

Sort of like \n(.g, n, t, '\*(.T'html' and the like.

For example,

  .ie \n(.U \{.
    --- call .sy to run some external programs ---
  .\}
  .el \{.
    --- echo messages to user telling them to explicitly
        call those external programs ---
  .\}