RE: [Groff] goodbye to the groff list

From: Meg McRoberts
Subject: RE: [Groff] goodbye to the groff list
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:20:57 -0700 (PDT)

--- address@hidden wrote:

> If you had been receiving viruses broadcast by the groff list server
> then we would all have had them. I do not think I have seen a single
> such mail from [Groff] today (or *any* mail from [Groff] today,
> indeed not since Saturday 17 April!).

Actually, I have had several infected emails that look like they are
from the groff list.  But yahoo's mail filters is catching all of them
and putting them into my Bulk mailbox.

> > I also manage a number of lists. We manage the virus/spam issue with
> > two simple rules:
> >
> > 1. Only members can post
> >
> > 2. No HTML format messages, and no attachments. Postings containing
> >    either are bounced back to the sender.
> >
> > These are simple to implement in the L-Soft listserv software we use.
>
> I agree that these rules are quite effective -- the second more so
> than the first, since if one of our list members is infected some
> virus mails will get through to the list.

Yes, these rules would indeed cut down on malware spread by email, but
forbidding any attachments also throttles the usefulness of email.  And
as the number of infections spread through HTTP/FTP and such grows, it
doesn't even really ensure that you won't get infected anyhow.  Why not
run a good software package on the system?  The heuristic filters that
detect spam are getting pretty good.

Disclaimer: I do work for a company who sells such software and I don't
mean to be advertising a product.

meg