Re: [Groff] Re: Roman Numeral Page Numbers Error on Page Breaks

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Roman Numeral Page Numbers Error on Page Breaks
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:35:02 +0200

> For some reason, changing my even and odd footer definitions to use
> \n(PN, rather than %, causes the front matter pages to have the wrong
> page numbers and the ".af PN i" is ignored.

[snip]

"EF" is a macro which eats one level of backslashes, so you'll
need four of them (add another four if you call "EF" from within
a macro that hasn't redefined the escape character).  Otherwise
your page number gets evaluated not when the footer is finally
printed, but when it is first defined.  I guess that's why they
invented the page-number character "%" for titles, because it
only gets evaluated at the lowest level.

>     .if (\n[FormattingFullBook] = 1) \{\#   If we are formatting the
>     .  af % i\"                                full book, put the
>     .  ps +12\"                                forward on page viii.

Pedant points: it's "foreword" (as in "foreplay"), not "forward"
(as in "backward").