Re: [Groff] -ms Macro .TC Question

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] -ms Macro .TC Question
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:53:50 -0500

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:39:44 -0500 (CDT), Andrew J. Piziali wrote in <address@hidden>:

>   I am using the .XS, .XE and .TC -ms macros to build a table-of-
>contents (ToC).  However, I have been unable to figure out how to
>specify (1) the page number of the first page of the TOC and (2) the
>format of the page number used in the page footer.  Currently, the first
>page is numbered "1" and its format is Arabic numerals.
>
>   A typical ToC entry is created using the following lines in my
>.NHT macro (a .NH wrapper):
>
>    .XS
>    \fB\\n(H1.\h'0.2i'\\$2\fP
>    .XE
>
>The call to .TC the last line of the -ms file.
>
>   What must I do to start the ToC on page "v" (Roman numeral five)?

You could have the TOC output at the end of the document with the proper numbering as you see fit (see other message) by sending to a temporary file that is inserted into the processing stream at that point. Or you can devise some double pass collecting and inclusion. There had been several examples posted to the list in the past (use google to search on "site:lists.ffii.org").

The mmroff script is a practical example of what you want to accomplish.

Alejo

--
Alejandro López-Valencia
http://dradul.tripod.com/