Re: [Groff] Roman Numeral Page Numbers Error on Page Breaks

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] Roman Numeral Page Numbers Error on Page Breaks
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:52:11 -0500

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 13:04:53 -0500 (CDT), Andrew J. Piziali wrote in <address@hidden>:

>   When I added the request ".af % i" to format the page number in the
>footer of an -ms document, groff started displaying the two warning
>messages:
>
>    Forward.ms:39: warning: numeric expression expected (got `i')
>    Forward.ms:39: warning: missing closing delimiter
>
>at each page break.  (The "i" in "got `i'" is incremented at each page
>break.)
>
>   What is the correct way to select a page footer page number format?

Not adding a definition to a preexisting macro, what you did, but modifying the string registers documented in "Headers and footers" in groff_ms(7).

Initially the headers and footers are undefined except for the center header and footer, with the following definitions:

        .ds CH "- \\n(PN -
        .ds CF "\\*(DY

Where number register PN is the current page number and string register DY stores the current date in the format "Month Day, Year". (s.tmac has the answers to to this and more...) Yo'll need to redefine the macro where you want roman numbering with your own counter and restore the original definition where you want to start arabic numbering in your document.

Alejo

--
Alejandro López-Valencia
http://dradul.tripod.com/