[Groff] splitting of groffer.sh

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: [Groff] splitting of groffer.sh
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 13:15:54 +0200

Due to some bad shell programs, a shell testing sequence at the
beginning of the groffer shell script is necessary.  So far, this
leeds to several calls of the same file.  This is very inefficient and
possibly unstable.

So I decided to split the single groffer script into several shell
scripts.

Of course, these shell scripts should not go to the binary
directories.  <prefix>/libexec would be optimal, but unfortunately the
FHS deprecated this position.  They propose to use <prefix>/lib
instead for such purposes.

Actually a subdirectory of <prefix>/share could be used instead.  But
when strange operating systems force special arrangements in the
future, <prefix>/lib seems to be more flexible.

It seems to be possible to do this process locally in the groffer
source directory.  The make variable $libprogramdir that points to
<prefix>/lib/groff/ could be used.

So I propose to create a new directory <prefix>/lib/groff/groffer for
putting the additional groffer shell scripts in the installation.

Is that ok or how can it be improved?

Bernd Warken <address@hidden>