Re: [Groff] tbl(1) and Left-Adjusted Text Cells

From: Robert Goulding
Subject: Re: [Groff] tbl(1) and Left-Adjusted Text Cells
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:28:05 -0500

Quoting "Andrew J. Piziali" <address@hidden>:

>    In a table I've written using tbl(1), I have a number of text cells
> such as:
>
>      T{
>      .ad l
>      Some text that should be left-justified within its
>      column.
>      T}
>
> Is there a way to instruct tbl to left adjust all text in the table
> without having to repeat the ".ad l" request in every T{...T} block?
> I've tried inserting the .ad request before all of the T{...T} blocks
> but it has no effect.

That should work; just put .na before the .TS request, and .ad after the .TE.

You don't say what macro set you're using.  Just note that there was a bug in
the -me macros up to and including 1.19, making it impossible to change the
adjustment for the whole table.  This has been fixed in the CVS for the last
couple of months,

Robert.