[Groff] Re: MSVC Port--Revised run_pipeline()

From: MARSHALL Keith
Subject: [Groff] Re: MSVC Port--Revised run_pipeline()
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:02:38 +0000

> On Tuesday 24 February 2004 2:19 pm, I wrote:
>> > Doing `groff -pteo1 -ms pic.ms' on my GNU/Linux box works as
expected,
>> > without any warning or error message.
>>
>> It also looks fine to me, with a MinGW build from last night's CVS
>> snapshot.
>
> But, before we all rush out to celebrate, after doing a 'make install'
>
>    groff -Tps -mom macros.mom
>
> now seems to hang after '%%EOF' is written, and any subsequent 'make',
which
> requires this to be rebuilt, will hang at the point where it
[effectively]
> executes this, unless I first do a 'make uninstall'.

Further investigation suggests that this may be related to a bug in the
MSYS
console.  When I execute the above command, it hangs permanently; my only
recourse is to kill the process, and its associated tty, with 'kill -9'.
However, remembering a tip I wrote in README.MinGW, if I run

   cat | groff -Tps -mom macros.mom

I can recover the prompt by hitting Ctrl-D, to force EOF on STDIN -- but
*why* is this waiting for STDIN in the first place?

Best regards,
Keith.