[Groff] Leader character question in gtbl in T{ T} construct

From: Robert B. Herrmann
Subject: [Groff] Leader character question in gtbl in T{ T} construct
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:29:51 -0600

My question in contained in the attachment

groff -ms -t tblleaderques,trf > j ; gv j

--
Robert B. Herrmann
Professor of Geophysics

TEL: 314 977 3120
FAX: 314 977 3117
Email: address@hidden

\'      Force MS macro alignment
.LP
.fp 1 TR
.ds a \a
.TS
center,tab(:),expand;
n lw(12c) n.
_
.sp
1.:This is a short line\*a:2
.sp
2:T{
This is a long text entry. I would like the
leader character to continue on to the next tab stop.
However I just noticed that the line number on   the
top line, so the pattern of dots may not be appropriated.
I really need this to meet approved dissertation formatting.
T}:10
.sp
3:T{
This is a long text entry. I would like the
leader character to continue on to the next tab stop.
However I just noticed that the line number on   the
top line, so the pattern of dots may not be appropriate.
I really need this to meet approved dissertation formatting.\*a
T}:20
.sp
_
.TE
.sp
This is what my graduate school wants.  I invoke the Courier font
to show the alignment.
.sp
.fp 1 CR
.nf
.na
3      This is a long text entry. I would like the leader
       character to  continue  on to  the  next tab stop.
       However I just noticed that the line number on the
       top, so the  pattern of  dots  may not be correct.
       They want this ...................................     20
.fi
.ad
.LP
.fp 1 TR
.sp
This latter presentation may require a major rewrite of the gtbl.
The former with the leading character all the way across may be
acceptable, e.g.,
.sp
.fp 1 CR
.nf
.na
3      This is a long text entry. I would like the leader     20