RE: [Groff] Hyphenation and email/web addresses

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] Hyphenation and email/web addresses
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:07:58 -0000 (GMT)

On 16-Feb-04 Andy Crichton wrote:
>  Hi,
>       I am currently using the uk hyphenation patterns and would
> like to prevent email addresses and URLs from being  hyphenated as
> this may cause them to be interpreted incorrectly. I would be obliged
> if someone has already solved this problem.

Hi Andy,
The simplest way to do this would be to precede each such thing
with the request .nh, and follow it with .hy, for instance

Andy Crichton's email address is
.nh
address@hidden
.hy
to which you may email any queries.

Remember that you can keep together (prevent from splitting across
lines and also, if .nh has been used, from hyphenation within words)
a phrase of "words" separated by spaces by using \<space> (for an
unbreakable unstretchable space) or \~ (for an unbreakable stretchable
space), e.g.

Andrew\ Crichton\ <address@hidden>
.hy
to which you may email any queries.

with \~ instead of \<space> as above if you don't mind the spaces
stretching.

Hoping this help,
Best wishes
Ted.