Re: [Groff] Re: refer and Dutch names

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: refer and Dutch names
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:36:23 -0000 (GMT)

On 11-Feb-04 Christian Jensen wrote:
> but sorted under "h", i.e. you might have
>
> Halliday, M.A.K. (1967): ...
> 't Hart, J. (1965): ..
> House, A.S. (1973): ...
>
> This is very hard to handle in refer without breaking something else.
>
> I have actually not seen the order "Hart, J. 't" in any bibliographies
> and ended up accepting that he was placed in the "t"-section.

Further to my previous response, I should have mentioned that you
can put an extra field in your bibliographic database, and use the
"sort" command between ".R1" and ".R2" to specify either that the
extra field is the sort key or that it influences the sort (e.g. by
being appended or prepended to the author name).

So in fact 'refer' does allow the kind of independence between
sort key and entry which I was talking about before (in fact I was
thinking more of indexing when writing that, where this issue is
a definite problem in groff).

Sorry!
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>