Re: [Groff] Re: refer and Dutch names

From: Christian Jensen
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: refer and Dutch names
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:45:49 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, johan plug wrote:

> in passing, I happened upon your question about the Dutch name ’t Hart.
> You might be interested to know that the ‘ before t is not an accent,
> but an apostrophe. The full name originally was “het Hart” (meaning
> either “the heart” or  “the hart (as in ‘deer’)”. The article “het” has
> been abbreviated in use to ‘t. And Dutch practice is to sort surnames
> alphabetically by the main word. “de Vos” becomes “Vos, de”, “van der
> Horst” becomes “Horst, van der”,  and “ ’t Hart” becomes “Hart, ‘t”.

Thank you for the information. The special problem with the name "'t Hart"
(at least this particular one) is that he is listed in bibliographies as

        't Hart, Johan

but sorted under "h", i.e. you might have

Halliday, M.A.K. (1967): ...
't Hart, J. (1965): ..
House, A.S. (1973): ...

This is very hard to handle in refer without breaking something else.

I have actually not seen the order "Hart, J. 't" in any bibliographies and
ended up accepting that he was placed in the "t"-section.

Christian Jensen