Re: [Groff] pic -> png/gif/jpeg?

From: Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] pic -> png/gif/jpeg?
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:34:59 -0500

On Thursday, January 15, 2004 11:13 AM [GMT-5],
Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I need something quite a bit lighter weight than that, I'm
looking
>> for just a pic->png convertor that could be used realtime in a
>> website.
>
> Hmm, how would you handle text embedded in images?  Either TeX or
> groff must be called to format them.

I agree with Werner, you are far better off running ghostscript,
netpbm or Image/Convert-Magick on the postscript output.

Forgive my noisiness: Are you planning an online PIC to raster
service online? Else, I'd rather use a preprocessing website
generating framework with a heavy programmatic pathos as an
inspiration[1] (say, Quixote
http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/) so that you can
create a semi-dynamic site (IMO, only database ueries should be
dynamic, but now I am drifting waaay off-topis so I'll zip up now
:-).

Alejo

[1] Not that you want to use that one, but it is a best-of-breed in
its class...