Re: [Groff] fractional point sizes with -ms

From: Duncan Agnew
Subject: Re: [Groff] fractional point sizes with -ms
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 08:30:09 -0800 (PST)

I very much like Werner's suggestion for fractional point sizes in -ms.
I have made posters for meetings, and never gone above 72 points. I would
suggest that the break size be 360 points == 5 inches == 12.7 cm, as being
easier to remember in other units--360 is easy to remember on its own, as
well.

An alternative (which would suit me, though perhaps few others) would be to
adopt a "UCSD localism", in use here since about 1980, namely to define a
PZ macro, such that

.PZ nn

sets the point size, with the fractional points done using values above
the threshold as Werner proposes. This would be completely backwards-compatible,
I think--but I'm no expert on the macros.

Duncan Agnew