Re: [Groff] Copying blocks of troff input to a file

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Copying blocks of troff input to a file
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 12:09:53 -0000 (GMT)

Hi Ralph!

On 24-Dec-03 Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi Ted,
>> The last bit could be done by reading back from a diversion, but I'm
>> not seeing how to combine this with the first bit (indeed I'm not
>> seeing how to do the first bit anyway!)
>
> Aren't you the one on this list that's meant to answer questions rather
> than ask them?  :-)

Touché! (but this doesn't mean I know all the answers, still less
that no-one else does). However ...

> I've no idea either but have you considered a
> little awk preprocessor that takes

>     merry
>     christmas
>     .TQ
>
> and generates
>
>     merry
>     .TX merry
>     christmas
>     .TX christmas
>
> where .TX is as you've already achieved.

... this is not what's wanted, since

a) I could have done this with
   .TX merry
   .TX christmas
(in your sense of .TX) anyway; but this would write

   .XA 1
   merry
   .XE
   .XA 1
   christmas
   .XE

i.e. two separate TOC entries.

b) What I want copied into the auxiliary file by .TO/.../.TQ is

   .XS 1
   merry
   christmas
   .XE

Cheers, and merry christmas (with lots of jolly wrappers)
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972
Date: 24-Dec-03                                       Time: 12:09:53