[Groff] Minus sign in groff

From: Zvi Har'El
Subject: [Groff] Minus sign in groff
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:32:00 +0200

Hello list members,

I am using ‘groff -Tutf8 -man’ to produce my manual pages, and since I am
using a UTF-8 locale this is very convenient for me. But, one thing is
annoying: Searching for options never works! As a matter of fact, I noticed
that the ASCII minus sign is never used by the UTF-8 groff output:
groff_char(7) claims that

    the  ISO  Latin‐1  ‘Hyphen,  Minus  Sign’  (code 45) prints as a hyphen; a
    minus sign can be obtained with ‘\‐’.

and this is fine. However, the minus sign generated is the Unicode U+2212.
I didn't find any way to produce the ASCII minus sign, U+002D. On the other
hand, there is yet another method to generate the same U+2212 minus, using the
\(mi. Is this the way it is intended, or a bug/oversight in the UTF-8
post-processor? The solution I currently found is defining certain
‘VT100.Translations’ for my X-terminal so it will recognize a control-minus as
a U+2010, HYPHEN, and meta-minus as a U+2212, MINUS SIGN, and I can search for
them in the manual pages (the latter should suffice, but many man-pages
writers forget to escape their minus signs ;-)).

Best,

Zvi.

--
Dr. Zvi Har'El     mailto:address@hidden     Department of Mathematics
tel:+972-54-227607 icq:179294841     Technion - Israel Institute of Technology